Favorite Youth Group (Teenage) Memories
I was over at a friend's house last night and we got to laughing our heads off about all the crazy things I had done as a teenager. My friend, Pam, was always a church youth sponsor so she knew all about my crazy shenigans. This post is especially for her since she put up with my loud mouth all those years!
1. Going to Canyon Camp and singing "The Tide Is High" by Blondie over and over and over. Anytime I hear that song, it takes me back to junior high and Canyon Camp.
2. Lock-ins: Too many memories to share, but I mostly remember keeping everyone up all night. You mostly heard "Kyndal, it's time to be quiet now." It would be quiet for a few minutes until I got everyone giggling again. One night we were staying at a church near Six Flags and I spent most of the night singing "Jesse" by Carly Simon. I would just say in the darkness, "Oh Mama" and someone else would say, "say a prayer for me." Then we would giggle hysterically!
Why this was so funny, I do not know. Maybe it had something to do with being at Six Flags all day and then staying up all night!
3. Hawaiin Memory: When I was about 14 my grandma took me to Hawaii. We traveled with Pam and her mom. One morning, Mickey (grandma) got me up to get ready for church. It didn't seem like I had been asleep very long, but I went ahead and got up. Then I noticed that it was very dark outside. I mentioned this to Mickey who informed me that the sun rises later in Hawaii. So, we got ready and called our friends who then informed us that it was 4 in the morning. LOL I went back to bed fully clothed in a dress and laid as still as possible on my back so I wouldn't mess me my hair or dress up. That's even more hilarious!! Why didn't I just take the dress off?
4. Driving Pam's Buick Regal around the block by our church over and over while I was learning to drive.
5. Going to camp and not washing our hair the entire time. Yuck! We would wear a bandana or a stocking cap to cover it up.
6. Showers at Canyon Camp: One in particular we fondly referred to as "The Pelter." One of my friends actually got a bruise from this shower. It just kept pelting you over and over. We would stand in line an extra 30 minutes to avoid getting in "The Pelter."
7. Playing sardine in the church basement. There was this really scary closet and someone would always hide in there and then the rest of us would have to squish in, too.
8. The Peach Stuffing Contest at Canyon Camp. I had this insane idea that since the food at camp was so bad, we might as well just stuff peaches in our mouths to see who could get the most in. I was the winner! I believe I had 13 in my mouth. These were just those peach slices out of a can. It was the only edible camp food.
9. Water gun fights with battery powered machine water guns and water ballon/shaving cream fights. (at Canyon Camp of course)
10. Sitting in church waiting to take Communion when a lady named Polly went to the altar to receive Communion. My friend next to me calmly and quietly said, "Hey, Polly want a cracker!" I almost had to leave the service because I could not stop laughing.
* I'm sure you've noticed that Canyon Camp is in a bunch of my favorite memories. We always went to a week of church camp there in the summers and 1 or 2 retreats during the year. We always had a blast!
**I'm really into blog "lists" right now so bear with me.
3 comments:
That "Polly want a cracker" thing made me laugh so hard tears were streaming down my face.
Blogging lists are the best. They rock.
"Polly want a cracker" made me spit my cereal across the desk! Spencer said, "Mommy, did you read a funny word?" That is HILARIOUS!!
Anyway, I spent many happy times at Canyon Camp, too. I wish I had more photos of the place. I think we went to Camp Egan, too. In fact, they are intermingled in my head. I'm not sure which features came from which camp. I'd love to go back!
Glad the "Polly" story made you guys laugh. It is one of the funniest stories I have and it really did happen. I'm just glad there are other people who appreciate this kind of humor. I'm sitting here laughing about Polly as I type this.
As for Canyon Camp, I'm going to dig up some old pictures for Jan. Maybe I'll even post them. ;)
Post a Comment